Something shocking happened. The first night out, the temperature dropped to about -10C and we experienced a freak snowstorm. I had woken up early to relieve myself outdoors, and was confronted with gusting wind and the snow was belting sideways. I was so amazed I held the door open and shouted to the people still asleep inside. It was amazing, with drifts up to 30cm. We learned later that, sadly, 48 people had died that night throughout Mongolia, many of them children, aparently stranded while herding or traveling home, because there was virtually no visibility and they were not prepared for the cold so late in the season.
06 June 2008
Snowstorm
Something shocking happened. The first night out, the temperature dropped to about -10C and we experienced a freak snowstorm. I had woken up early to relieve myself outdoors, and was confronted with gusting wind and the snow was belting sideways. I was so amazed I held the door open and shouted to the people still asleep inside. It was amazing, with drifts up to 30cm. We learned later that, sadly, 48 people had died that night throughout Mongolia, many of them children, aparently stranded while herding or traveling home, because there was virtually no visibility and they were not prepared for the cold so late in the season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow.. this is what u told me abt
snow in Molgol.. incredible man!!
kim (A.K.A MSQ)
Post a Comment